Thursday, April 05, 2007

A visit to a sheep farm


Last weekend I was in New Hampshire to celebrate the baptism of my niece-in-law, Tracey. She took me to visit Riverslea Farm that's just down the street from her home. It was so cool! They raise sheep for slaughter and sell the wool as a side line.


This is Tracey and Liz, who is the owner of the farm. You can see all the wool displayed in one of the two rooms she has for selling knitted items as well as hanks of wool. She shears and spins and dyes some of the wool herself. Some she sends up to Nova Scotia for spinning and dyeing. Those round things Tracey is holding are "nesting balls". (If you click on the photo you can get a closer look.) They are made from grape vines and stuffed with small pieces of wool for the birds to pull out and use in making their nests. How cool is that? I was a bit concerned that my nesting ball and 3 hanks of wool would be confiscated by customs but I had no problems at all. And I even checked off the little box that asks if you've visited a farm!

No comments: